CJA members and other journalists based in London may be interested to see this release from the House of Lords about a debate on Thursday about building stability overseas..
WHAT ARE THE FOUNDATIONS WE NEED FOR A STABLE WORLD? LORDS TO DEBATE NEW GOVERNMENT STRATEGY FOR BUILDING STABLITY OVERSEAS
The House of Lords is to debate the Government’s ‘Building Stability Overseas Strategy’, on Thursday 6 October.
Baroness Falkner of Margravine (Liberal Democrat), who will open the debate, said:
“This is the first time that a Government has recognised the importance of a joined-up approach to diplomacy, security and aid in foreign affairs in strategic terms and when the Government published their Building Stability Overseas Strategy, I read it with interest.
“However, while I applaud its ambition combined with its with sombre realisation of how difficult these issues are, I believe that the strategy contains an inherent weakness, in that there is no one department with overall responsibility to parliament for the strategy, and therefore no accountable Minister.
“I hope that this debate will encourage the Government to think about how they can improve accountability in order to strengthen the strategy and create an integrated and robust approach to building stability abroad.”
Members scheduled to speak include the following:
- Baroness Kinnock of Holyhead (Labour), Opposition spokesperson for International Development
- Lord Chidgey (Liberal Democrat), UK Parliament Representative, AWEPA (European Parliamentarians for Africa)
- Baroness Warwick of Undercliffe (Labour), Chair of the International Student’s House, London
Other speakers include Lord Black of Brentwood (Conservative), Lord Hussain (Liberal Democrat), Lord Desai (Labour), Lord Hylton (Crossbench), Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale (Labour) and Lord Stone of Blackheath (Labour).
Lord Howell of Guildford (Conservative) will respond on behalf of the government.
Notes to Editors
- The debate is scheduled to start at 1.30pm. Members of the media and public are welcome to attend.
- A full list of speakers to date can be found at www.lordswhips.org.uk. A list in the order in which Members will speak will be available on the day.
- The debate can be watched live at www.parliamentlive.tv and a transcript will be available approximately three hours from the start of the debate at http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld/ldtoday/home.htm.
- The ‘Building Stability Overseas Strategy’ can be found on the Department for International Development’s website.
- More information about House of Lords debates and other Chamber business can be found on the website or by contacting Clare Ramsaran in the House of Lords press office on +44 (0)20 7219 8550.